Dr. Doug's Chopped Salad
G. Douglas Andersen, DC, DACBSP, CCN
- Grate 1 large carrot
- Chop 1/4 inch horizontal and 1/4 vertical lines 1/4 to 1/3 head of purple cabbage
- Chop 1 large red bell pepper
- Shave the flowers off 1 large head of broccoli. If you include a small amount of stem, it may require further chopping. If you just shave the round florets off the end, no further cutting will be necessary.
- Quarter then slice 1 large yellow squash or green zucchini
Depending on the size of vegetables you use, this base mix will contain 10 to 15 servings (serving = 1/2 cup). Store in an air-tight container in the back of the refrigerator. Your base mix can last up to 6 days. It is best consumed within 4 days after preparation.
Vegetables You can add or subtract vegetables of choice to the salad base mix. Some other suggestions would be yellow or green bell peppers, green cabbage, onions, celery, jicama, and cauliflower. The following may be added at the time of a meal, since they do not keep well with the base mix:
- Chopped cucumber
- Chopped tomato
- Diced apple
- Sliced mushroom
Lettuce, European baby greens, and spinach, (all can be ripped or chopped) are also best added at mealtime.
Beans I recommend beans be added to the salad. Although they can be kept with the base mix, I recommend that they be stored in a separate container so you are able to tell how many servings of vegetables you are getting.
Protein You can make a salad a high-protein meal by topping it with nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese, skinless chicken or turkey breast, tuna, or even lean beef or pork.
3 cups of the Base Mix can be mixed with one of the following:
- Cook your favorite low calorie frozen dinner, such as Weight Watchers, Healthy Choice and similar brands.
- Baked potato, rice, or pasta Mix with ½ cup of rice or pasta or a baked potato, (You wont need sour cream or cheese).
- You can also add warm fish, poultry, or lean beef.
E. Imperial Hwy.
Brea, CA. 92821
2004, G. Douglas Andersen, DC, DACBSP, CCN, 916 E. Imperial Hwy, Brea,
CA 92821, (714) 990-0824